ladybird06

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dog Meat


Some years ago I took this picture at Qingping Market, in Canton (China). I think I will never forget that experience, specially because it was the first place to visit after our arrival to China. It’s difficult to describe the smell, it was not bad but it was totally different (a new smell for me). Some minutes later we arrived to butcher’s area and I couldn’t believe what my eyes were seeing but there they were, dogs at butcher’s. They were previously boiled to take out the skin. In fact, we had read in our guide book that in Guandong Province (in the south of China) all the things with four legs could be eaten (except tables and chairs!!!) and it was true. If you went for a walk around that market you could see all kind of animals (some of them protected in Europe), dogs, rats, fawns, tortoises, snakes, ferrets… The market also had one of the biggest sections in Chinese medicine products I’ve ever seen. If you ever go to Canton, then Qingping Market is a must . I’m sure you will be astonished.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Pumuky's & CO. said…

    Hi Ladybird!
    I can't believe it!! I had watched on TV a documentary about it but I don't remember this image... It's horrible! Although they have another culture...I thing they don't understand why we eat rabbit.
    Interesting experience!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home